Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Postcards of Autumn

We have had some amazing autumn weather in The Hague. This past week I have been out exploring my new hood by bicycle. The Dutch say that the Netherlands is just one big village surrounded by parks. I think they might be right! Here are a few "postcards" I captured of autumn's loveliness.








"After a breathless dawn the wind blows free, upturns the silver poplar leaves. They glance, pale faces, restless, up and down the tree. Life poplar leaves, the words within me dance,but does some secret hope pervade my heart? And might I be content for youth to play its part, then reach its nadir at the end of Fall? Perhaps my words glisten against their will. Soon, will their transient luster turn to yellow -- a gold, translucent foil -- enough to fill the cracks of footpath, hill, and rock hollow? Come Fall, word-weary minds dream of recess--the lightness, and the light, of leaflessness."
Overleaf by Luci Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment