Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Habemus Papam


Pope Francis on the night of his election, March 13, 2013

We have a Pope! On Wednesday evening, the second day of the conclave, white smoke billowed from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel. I had been following CNN all day at work (it's nice to be in the same time zone as the Vatican), but only thick, black smoke in the morning and no further developments came before I left the office around 5:30 pm. I sent Ryan a message over Skype asking him to follow the news and let me know what colour the smoke was for the second evening ballot the Cardinals would cast before heading out to dinner with a friend. I really didn't think a pontiff would be selected this early, as it seemed there was no clear consensus yet on who would be the front runner.

Less than two hours into my my meal, I received an excited phone call from Ryan. "Didn't you get my texts?" No, I hadn't! White smoke, white smoke, white smoke! I told him to call me back when, as tradition goes, a Cardinal walks out onto the balcony of St. Peter's Basilica and announces the name of the man who has been chosen to lead the world's 1.2 billion Catholics. I could barely sit still and was somewhat disappointed that I would not be able to watch this moment live on television.

About 30 minutes later, my cell phone rings. This is it, I thought! Ryan then takes me through a play by play - lights turning on behind the balcony, rustling curtains and as Ryan put it, a white man appearing. Oh, I thought, it's not an African which I hoped for. I then said well who is it? Is it the Canadian they highlighted? Surely not an American? Latin American!? Ryan then said he has chosen the name Francesco. Is he Italian? Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, an ARGENTINEAN! At last, a Pope from South America!! Needless to say, after finishing dinner, I walked quickly to my tram and ran home from my stop to watch the coverage.

Many people have asked me what I think of our new Holy Father. My first impressions are that he is a man of deep faith, humility, with a love for the poor and who's actions speak louder than any words, just like the one he took his name from, St. Francis of Assisi. When Pope Francis appeared on the balcony in front of thousands of onlookers awaiting his first words, he said "Brothers and Sisters, good evening. You know that the task of the conclave was to give Rome a bishop. It seems my brother Cardinals went almost to the ends of the earth to find one." What was most unexpected and unprecedented was instead of first blessing the people, he asked for their prayers and that they bless him. Wow, I must admit, my heart was full and my eyes pricked with tears. He is indeed a Pope of the people.

At his Installation Mass this morning, Pope Francis called us to love and to protect each and every person, especially the poorest and those most vulnerable in our society, as well as our environment and creation. He defined the role of the Successor of Peter as one who is to use power as service and this service must protect all of God's people. He gave us these words to live out: "Today, too, amid so much darkness, we need to see the light of hope and to be men and women who bring hope to others. To protect creation, to protect every man and every woman, to look upon them with tenderness and love, is to open up a horizon of hope; it is to let a shaft of light break through the heavy clouds; it is to bring the warmth of of hope! For believers, for us Christians, like Abraham, like Saint Joseph, the hope that we bring is set against the horizon of God, which has opened up before us in Christ." Such powerful words that impress upon me what his papacy will be about!

I am excited to be a Catholic at this important moment in history as the Church shifts her eyes to another part of the world, Latin America, and is challenged by our new Holy Father. May the Holy Spirit guide him and may Our Mother Mary always be near him. Pope Francis, the faithful around the world are praying for you and your ministry amongst us. God bless you!




Viva il Papa!

2 comments:

  1. Laurel, I posted a link to this on my Catholicism is Beautiful page and it went viral. People really want to hear about this new pope.

    ReplyDelete