Monday, December 19, 2011

Postcards from Delft

My mom arrived last Monday to stay with us through Christmas. I am so thankful to have her here and visit some of the sights around Holland together. After she recovered from jetlag, we decided to take the train to Delft and explore this charming city.

Delft is the home of Johannes Vermeer, one of the great Dutch painters, and is also where the famous blue and white Delftware pottery is produced. Although the weather was extremely cold and there were a few raindrops, we still enjoyed perusing the specialty shops, strolling the Markt, taking in all of the holiday decorations, and visiting the Nieuwe Kerk where Willem of Orange is buried. We took cover to warm up at a really cute cafe and ordered Chocomel, which is a Dutch hot chocolate drink served with whip cream. Yum!

I am impressed with myself that I was able to get us there without Ryan's keen sense of direction. As many of my friends and family members can attest to, I am very directionally challenged even if I have been somewhere many times. I purchased our train tickets, found the track our train was departing from, navigated us around the main part of town, and got us home in one piece. Phew! I plan to take on Amsterdam alone with her one day this week. I do believe that my confidence is building and I am becoming more independent and daring as the days go by. Who would have guessed?
Here are some postcards of our day in Delft.

Oude Kerk

Town Hall





1 comment:

  1. Hi Laurel - I just received your mom's Christmas letter and was surprised to find out you are in the Netherlands. I am so excited for you - I loved my expat life and I hope you do as well. Have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete