Friday, December 30, 2011

German Christmas Markets

I have always dreamt of visiting Europe at Christmas. This may very well be due to watching one too many Rick Steves' specials on PBS.  Images of small villages lit up and dusted in snow, Christmas trees sparkling in ancient city sqaures, and beautiful hymns being sung by choirs in glorious cathedrals all come to mind when I have thought about how Europe celebrates the birth of Christ.

Although Holland celebrates the Feast of St. Nicholas, or Sinterklaas as they call it, on December 6th, and the streets and city center are festively decorated for the season, we wanted to experience the German Christmas Markets at this most wonderful time of the year. My mom came to spend the holiday with us and during her stay we made a day trip to Dusseldorf, Germany to get into the Christmas spirit.

The Christmas markets are set up in the city center and wind around the city, each with twinkling lights and different themes to attract natives and visitors to the array of goods and treats being offered. We walked around for the greater part of the day admiring handmade crafts - carved wooden figures and villages, ornaments, blown glass, woolen gloves and scarves, and delightful holiday decorations. And it wouldn't be a Christmas Market experience without sampling warm Gluhwein (mulled wine) which is served in special mugs that can be kept as souvenirs. I enjoyed a soft, warm German pretzel and Ryan and my mom had traditional bratwurst in a crusty roll. We also took home some delicious sweets.

All and all, it was a special day and one that I know my mom and I will cherish in our memories forever.
Dusseldorf Christmas Market



 


My mom and I enjoying hot Gluhwein

We hope to visit more European cities next Christmastime and maybe even see some snow. To all our family and friends back in Seattle, we wish you a very Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year 2012!!

No comments:

Post a Comment