Sunday, January 22, 2012

Postcards from Brussels

On a whim the day after Christmas, aka Boxing Day, we all decided to pile in the car and take an adventure to Brussels. Ryan decided that I needed some driving practice, so I took the wheel and drove us all the way to Belgium. It was a nice drive, listening to Christmas music and chatting as we passed quickly from one country to another. This is the really amazing part about living in Europe - you can be in a completely different country within a few short hours!

Belgium is split into two parts, the Dutch speaking Flanders in the north and the French speaking Wallonia to the south. The dual cultures and politics of this rather small country are a bit controversial, as the two do not always agree on how to conduct business. Although Brussels technically falls within the northern border, we primarily heard French being spoken. I immediately took to this city, I think mainly due to its very French feel; it was a bit reminiscent of Paris, one of my all time favourite cities in the world.

Belgium is known for many things, some of which happen to be very appreciated by us. Belgian beer, for example, is a favourite of Ryan's, and I too have learned to enjoy the immense variety of flavours and styles, many of which are not available in the States. Then of course there is Belgian chocolate. I read that over 172,000 tons of chocolate is produced in the country with more than 2,000 local shops selling these amazing creations. Belgium is also infamous for their cuisine, preparing dishes with fresh local seafood and produce with a French flair. We walked down a winding alley street lined with restaurants artisically displaying their catch of the day in ice.

We sampled some delicious Belgian beers in one of the many cafes lining the Grand Palace and visited a small family owned chocolatier with a sweet French woman telling us which pieces were the most prized and gave us each a free sample. My mom purchased us all a few individual pieces and also a delectable box to take back home. We ended our tour de Brussels with my favourite food, and many of my friends can guess what that is. Why frites of course! Yes, the Belgians are crazy about their frites and so I have to say I love the Belgians. They sell these crispy classics at little outdoor stands serving them in cones with mayo and little plastic forks - so you can reach the last few at the bottom of the cone!

I didn't get too many pictures that day, but I'll share some of the shots I took. These "postcards" would definitely say, "Belgium, I can't wait to come visit again. See you soon! Très magnifique!"



The Grand Palace square of Brussels


Le Renard (the fox) dating back to the 1690's



Cathedrale Sts-Michel-et-Gudule - reminded us a bit of Notre Dame

Winding alley where restaurants show off their offerings

Fresh shellfish displayed over ice

Our Belgian beers, each served in their own fancy glass

Frites stand!

1 comment:

  1. Loved the beer glasses! (but I hate the stupid codes you always have to type to send a comment)

    ReplyDelete