Monday, October 28, 2013

A Rather Blustery Day




It's autumn again and with it comes gale force winds today! It reminded me of Winnie the Pooh, of all things. In A.A. Milne's tales, Pooh decides to go out for a stroll in the woods on a very windy day where he finds his friend, Piglet, tangled in his scarf appearing "like a kite" and discovering that other neighbours, such as Eeyore, Rabbit and Owl, have lost their homes completely. I actually owned the Disney record where the song 'A Rather Blustery Day' appears. The lyrics go something like this:

Oh the wind is lashing lustily
And the trees are thrashing thrustily
And the leaves are rustling gustily
So it's rather safe to say
That is seems that may turn out to be
It feels that it will undoubtedly
It looks like a rather blustery day


Well, this picture completes the scene here; high winds, thunderstorms (lightening and thunder!) and heavy rain thrashing against the windowpanes. I am thankful for a warm and inviting roof over my head allowing me to curl up on the couch with a hot cup of tea and a good book. We've resigned ourselves to let Mother Nature do what it is she intends to do on this bleak evening. My thoughts are with my colleagues and those having a hard time getting home - with tree limbs blocking train and tram tracks causing major commuting delays!

Biking part two will have to reconvene later due to unforeseen weather conditions. I really love biking (especially with my new Dutch bike which I promise to post about later), but riding in these conditions is just not conducive for an amateur like me...So back to the tram I go, with much resignation. I have come to feel strongly about this easy way of transport and the ease of life that it provides. It's a fast and very effective way of getting to point B!

But, indeed, all is not lost. Pooh, Piglet and his dear friends never do let things dash their spirits. They all find shelter in Christopher Robin's home and celebrate their safety. And just like one of my greatest literary heroes, one most always hold onto an optimistic and cheery attitude when the winds whip and the world comes a bit undone. Although Pooh was on his way to a thoughtful spot alone, he was taken to a different place where he was asked to contribute and participate in the community in which he lived. We, too, must latch onto something greater. A very blustery day it has been!

Keep safe & appreciate all those you hold close!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment